Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Running a bit behind - Pompeii & Naples



Ok, so I left off heading to Pompeii, and it was cool, but honestly I think I need to go back and do it on my own, sans tour guide. The place is massive and crowded like no ones business. Our tour guide and his fake Burberry took us through Pompeii and its thousands of years of history in two hours. As an archaeology student, that was not my cup of tea. There was so much to see!

However, I am glad that I got to go and to see Mt. Vesuvius in the back was just amazingly cool. Its like it for real right there in front of me and no longer just in my text books. Cool feeling!

After Pompeii we went to Naples, and I can tell you that place smells and I never ever need to go back there, unless its a transfer station to go somewhere else. The Archaeology Museum was super cool, but at the point Karen and I were DELIRIOUS and were having too much fun. Our tour guide was a bore so we just made the best of it. When in Italy? :)

It was nice to have a 3 hour bus ride home after a long day walking in the sun and a few glasses of prosecco with our traditional Napoli pizza (pizza in Rome way better). I listened to music and took a bit of a nap. When we got home a few of us decided to go out with our "tour director" and that led to the loss of my cell phone. I think I may be on iPhone number 6 now? I may have lost count at this point though. I am so upset. Its been safely inside my purse since day one and the day that I listen to music other than while running, I left it in the outside pocket, which really isn't a pocket and phone is gone. I tried tracking it and last I saw it it was in a train station moving back and forth between a few places and then all of the sudden just quit showing up. It also wasn't in the best neighborhood and not really sure how it got there. Still sad. I have no music to run to, no one's phone numbers, etc. So at some point when I get home I may need those... but I will see :)

Sunday was kind of a chill day, I wasn't feeling all that great, and a lot of us are feeling really run down. I know that some of you are sitting at home rolling your eyes thinking how on earth can you be studying in italy and be tired. Well thats just the thing, taking both classes with 50-100 pages of reading per night plus other stuff and then touring rome on the days I am not sitting in class for 6 hours is tiring. But I can't lie, I wouldn't have it any other way. I can sleep when I get home... at some point!

Ok on to the fun stuff.... PICTURES!







No comments: