Sunday, June 24, 2012

Assisi



I will talk a bit about Assisi, because well it needs to be talked about. In a bad way. Things can only build up before big bad brown words hit the ceiling.

As we start off our Saturday morning headed to Assisi as a group trip at 8 am. I swear one of these days I will sleep past 8. It has to happen, as those that know me know that I can't function unless I get my sleep in. The 3 hour bus ride was ok, I tried to nap most of the way, but since I no longer have an iPhone with music my ADD brain picks up most conversations. Most of them are eye rollers, ok 90% of them are. I know that when I was abroad the first time in Jordan I was 28 and a little bit closer to some of the kids my age, but as a 30 year old hanging out with kids that are barely or not even legal to drink in the states is a huge change for me. It will be very apparent to me later how true this statement really is.

We had an amazing tour guide for the first time this trip. She has 7 dogs and of course ScKaMille bonded instantly with this lady. We all miss our dogs like no other. The tour was great and it was nice and toasty outside. And I do mean toasty, but still not Houston toasty. I saw some of the most amazing frescos by Giotto and Chimabue who I loved in my art history classes and to see them in person is still a feeling I can't explain. When you love something with so much history the feeling is just joyful, and we weren't allowed to take pictures in the church but I dislike people telling me no, so I made my way around that rule. Most the pictures turned out pretty bad, but the infamous Giotto I got, and I'm pretty ok with it.

Assisi... you are beautiful! I am not a huge Christian but I can still appreciate the history of it all. I feel like a sponge that is being pushed to my limits and it's well worth it.

1st fun of the day started out when we all thought that this town was open to tourist all the time and we were told that we were going to be able to have all day long to enjoy the town and take as long as we want for lunch and then just roam for 7 hours, then as we are arriving by bus we are told places close at 2 pm for lunch and then don't open again till 6 for dinner. ScKaMille flips out in the back of the bus. Um, excuse me how are we supposed to go all day long with out eating? Later on we find out that only the "local" places close but all the tourist places are open. We rejoice.

2nd ScKaMille has a nice leisurely lunch with wine and good pasta dishes. After that we take off with my room mate Macy. We walk around the town, and since it's not that big we decide we need to get lost or find our way to the castle at the top of the mountain. As one would guess, I am all for finding the top of the mountain and hoofing it up there, but I will go with the flow as much as i need to, cause the look on Scotts face says I can take that castle and shove it. Well we got lost and low and behold the castle appears and up we go. Karen and I say as long as we are here we might as well, Scott chunks us the deuce and says have fun. The trek up the hill was well worth the view we got when we arrived. It was utterly breath taking. I couldn't even put my camera in a bad spot and every turn I took was another OMG look at this spot. I wish that I could share this with my family more than anything because they would love it. I think about them with every step I take. They are the reason I can be where I am today.





So... now for the gossip... you still with me? cause this is where it gets fun. After the three of us trekked it up the mountain the rest of the group was STILL in the spot at a bar where we left them like 4 hours ago... and most of them were still drinking, one girl was off the cuff drunk. So Karen and I went to another bar to have a we conquered the hill we deserve a prosecco for that drink. And it was delightful. That all changed rather quickly. It is now 6 and we are ready to go, well one girl has decided to get retarded drunk and no one has felt it necessary to stop her, and some have even decided its a good idea to join her in her drunken stupor knowing that we have a 3 hour bus ride home... Kids these days...

Well to make this long story short, drunk girl ended up vomiting the first hour of our bus ride home demanding the attention of 4 people to take care of her. We went through every plastic bag we had on the bus, gave up all of our water and got the joy of sitting on the bus with the constant smell of vomit. Karen being the mother hen that she is stepped in and took control and Scott and I being the elders of the group that had been there and done that, took a seat and watched it from the side lines, trying our hardest not to vomit with just the smell alone. It was the 30 vs the 20s. Unreal.
Eventually she has nothing left in her and passed out. We rejoiced again. Longest bus ride EVER. I couldn't have made it through if I hadn't had Scott to talk to about how we had once been that guy and to sing our ridiculous 90's songs with. Scott, I adore you thank you for being my age on this trip :)

SO much more going on, but since I seem to be a bit wordy... I will continue on to another post. Pictures to come later.

No comments: