Friday, June 8, 2012

art. art. a church. and more art.






This week I got to mark things off of my must see list, and I couldn't be more excited!

Yesterday was just an all around amazing day. We started off bright and early around 7:30 am and met downstairs to walk over to the Vatican. I was super excited that we got a tour guide. Once we got there after a quick walk ala Dr. Behr style (fastest walker I have ever met. For real). We had 15 minutes to spare so Dr. C, Jess, Karen, Jackie and I went to grab a quick bite to eat and some coffee.

Once inside the Vatican Museum it was unreal. I have never seen anything like it, well except for the Louvre, and I didn’t really stay all that long there ☺ The tour guide was great and I walked around for 3 hours with my mouth wide open taking it all in. I got to see things that I have seen only in my art history books, and it was cool to see them up close and personal. The list of amazing art works goes as follows: Mars of Todi, sculpture of Laocoon, the Borgia apartments, amazing tapestries, the Stanze of Raphael with the ever famous School of Athens is, and of course my favorite… ceilings. I have a thing with ceilings. They are so beautifully decorated and just take my breath away.
Of course a few of the MAJOR highlights was seeing the Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica. We walked into the Sistine Chapel and I didn’t know where to look first. I couldn’t believe that I was actually there, in person! The only thing I didn’t like is that there were no lights in there so windows lighted it all and not a lot of light is allowed thru, but I got the point. I was standing below one of the greatest art works ever. After we had a chance to take it all in and get through the crowd, we made our way over to the entrance to St. Peters and were quickly told that it would be a while to get in due to a private service or event and everyone was tired so we all left. I was a bit taken back by it. I know that we are going to be here for 5 weeks, but we are so close how could you want to leave. Luckily after the tour a few of us and Dr. C wanted to see the Etruscan art work and after that we said what the heck we are here lets go try St. Peters again, and we walked right in. I have never seen anything so beautiful. No joke. I am not exactly the most religious person, but it moves you and takes your breath away all at the same time. I even went and sat down and prayed inside the chapel. My heart leapt out of my chest and I was covered with goose bumps when I came upon Michelangelo’s the Pieta. I have wanted to see this since I started studying art history. The feeling of seeing it so close brought tears to my eyes. It’s beautiful and spiritual and awe-inspiring. I may have even done a little dance. Check that right off my list of art works to see. Done and done.
After that the five of us wondered out into St. Peters square and walked around the columns Bernini built, got some gelato and the had a leisurely stroll back to campus. I am still completely lost at where I am going, and that is not normal for me. It’s irritating.










That night we went to the Giancolo hill and took snacks and too many bottles of vino. We sat on top of the hill and watched the sunset, drank wine, and ate some yummy cheese (HA). I had cherries and breadsticks. Some people had a little too much too drink that night and decided it would be a good idea to go out after wards even though we had class at 9 am. I being the older and wiser one decided that it was not a great idea and I was drained so I came back to my room and passed out. Feet hurt!




No comments: