Monday, May 28, 2012

Anxiety Level - 3?

Well it looks like I am off to live abroad once again and couldn't be happier or more nervous!

11 years ago this June I took my first trip to Italy with my family for my mom's MBA graduation trip, and it was incredible. We stayed in Florence and traveled to other places from there, but the minute I got off the train for our day trip to Rome I was hooked. I remember it so well, the graffiti on the walls coming into the train station, our missed trip to the Vatican, and crying when I entered the colosseum. Ainsley just looked at me like I was on crack, and after walking around I told them that one day I would come back here and be just like these students sitting around drawing the columns and various sculptures around town. It was a crazy dream but one I never let go of.

When I finally decided last year what I wanted to major in at UH, I met with the director of the new Liberal Studies program and was fascinated that after 12 plus years of never knowing what I wanted to do, I felt like I had found a home. The program was everything that I needed to succeed and to finally finish college. A major plus came at the end of our conversation when Dr Behr started talking about how he was taking his students to Rome that summer on a study abroad trip. I lit up inside like a Christmas tree and a few weeks later declared my major and would have happily signed my name in blood if they had asked me too. Done and done!

So here I am.... 6 sleeps away from actually fulfilling a dream I had so long ago.

The thought gives me such joy and honestly brings me to tears. I never thought it could be so great, and I never really believed dreams came true.

I have to really thank my Family and friends for all their support and understanding.... And dont worry, I'm coming back.... Unless a find a wealthy Italian with a villa on the Mediterranean... Then you all will just have to come visit and bring Sadie to me :)

Ciao for now!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

cant wait to read all about it!!

OhThatNita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OhThatNita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OhThatNita said...

It is going to be an amaze-balls trip! Look forward to the updates! Enjoy every waking moment! So excited for you!