Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21, 2010



June 21, 2010
This past week ended on a good note. Saturday while digging I came across 2 small pieces of pottery with holes in them. I thought well that’s weird, so I called my square supervisor over to take a look at it and she said I should keep digging. After a few minutes of that I realized that there was more to it. My square supervisor and another guy began to excavate the pottery, and it turns out that I found an ENTIRE pot!!! It was so cool. I was pretty ticked off that I wasn’t able to excavate it myself, but when they were done I got my picture taken with it while I brought it out of the ground. I am so thrilled I found something on my first dig. It made my day and my week! I am waiting to get the pictures from another square mate. Once I get them I will for sure post them. After the dig a few of us went to watch the soccer game at a coffee shop. I got tired around 10 and headed home. While my friend Chazie and I were walking back, a few of the locals thought it would be fun to throw bullets at us. Yes, bullets. One actually hit me in the arm. And it kind of hurt. Stupid kids. :)

Sunday we made a day trip up to Jerash, which is a Greco-Roman site invaded by the crusaders and a bunch of other cool stuff I won’t bore you with. But I love Roman architecture and the columns were so beautiful, so of course I took an ungodly amount of pictures. Oh, and it was super hot. I am going to die in Egypt.

Today’s dig was a hot one too. It’s a good thing we leave at noon. However, when the bus loses its drive shaft for the 2nd time in one day, which makes for a long trip home. Honestly this guy needs to get the bus fixed! The starter is broken so every morning we have a rolling start, and then it barely makes it up any kind of hill. And there is no AC on the bus so we all have the windows open, covered in dirt, sweaty, and hungry. Not the best crowd to deal with after 7 hours. Fix the damn bus already. It’s the last week and we are all getting cranky.

No comments: